Hi beer fans.
Here’s 9 crazy facts about beer which I put together for Twentysomethinglondon ahead of our upcoming Rooftop Brewing beer party!
1. In 1814, 8 people in London died by drowning in beer when one of the huge vats of ale gave way sending 1.4 million litres into the streets.
2. The oldest recipe for beer is 4000 years old, made by Sumerians.
3. Hops are a very close cousin of the marijuana plant.
4. Beer is higher in protein and vitamin B than vino and also contains iron, calcium, phosphates and fibre. Vitamin B particularly folic acid helps prevents heart attacks.
5. In the Middle Ages beer was consumed more than water since it was healthier and safer to drink than water (boiled water is used in the brewing process).
6. The geometry of a beer glass affects how it looks, tastes and feels
- A narrower top than the middle traps the aroma inside the glass
- An outward taper helps maintain the size of the foamy head
- A wide rim or flared glass delivers the beer into your whole mouth not just to the tongue which changes the way flavours are perceived
7. Cenosillicaphobia is the fear of an empty beer glass.
8. Oatmeal stouts were the advised drink of lactating mothers due to the nutritious benefits of drinking it.
9. The Czech Republic drinks the most beer per person in the world.